Saturday, May 17, 2008

Training for Marathon

I started training for the Pittsburgh Marathon, which is supposed to definitely be back next May. My first session was mainly mental training. I went out jogging in very humid, sultry weather and so didn't get too far. Mainly I worked on my mind set. In the past few years, my jogging training has focused on getting up to six miles over extremely steep hills around my house without any food or water. I control the weather and can choose to go out depending on it. If I don't feel well physically, I also can choose not to go out. All of this has now radically changed. I have to train to get 26.2 miles in 6 hours in any kind of conditions no matter how I feel. I will have one hill to deal with, but it will be nothing compared to what I'm used to around the house. I will have access to Gatorade and will be monitored and around many other people who can intervene if I have problems. However, I may have to do this in any of a number of weather conditions.

The next day, I took off. I went up to Ligonier, got spring water, and hung around my lot in Rector. I did move some logs and branches around. It was beautiful up there, and three deer came onto the lot while I was there. The wild flowers were so pretty. Linn Run State Park is just beautiful at this time of year. I purposely got my water inside Grove Run Picnic Area instead of along the road so I could enjoy the peace and beauty inside the picnic area.

Yesterday, I got back to training. I went out in cooler, drizzly conditions in the morning for a short jog. I jogged later on the treadmill at the YMCA and also did one circuit. I did one set each lifting a bit heavier than usual. Then later that evening, I went out for another short jog in cool but dry conditions. Anyway, it's a start. Eleven and a half months and counting!

No comments: