Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Animal Products

Since I don't have anything too exciting to report, I will discuss a conversation Kimberly and I had over the weekend. We were at my lot at Rector, PA and had built a fire. It was time for supper. Since I did not want to spend a lot of time there that day, I had brought Kamut sesame multi-grain crackers and cheese for supper. Kimberly was roasting several hot dogs over the fire. Kimberly stated that hot dogs were much healthier than they were in the past. Her hot dogs were pure beef hot dogs. So I asked her to read the nutrition label. One hot dog was 25% fat. It had 16 grams of fat. Seven grams were saturated fat. I pulled out my cheese and explained to her that her hot dogs weren't very healthy. Then I started reading the nutrition label from my cheese. I had 75% light Cabot cheddar cheese. I made a number of points from the label to contrast the cheese with her hot dogs.
  1. Cabot is a company in Vermont which is concerned with producing healthy, high quality products.
  2. This cheese, made with 1% milk, had 2.5 grams of fat per serving, as opposed to 16 for one hot dog.
  3. The cheese contained 1.5 grams of saturated fat, as opposed to 7 for the hot dog.
  4. The cheese contained only 10 mg of cholesterol. It's suggested you keep dietary cholesterol below 300 mg a day.
  5. The cheese contained 200 mg of sodium, which is 8% of the RDA, which is not that bad.
  6. The cheese contained 9 grams of protein per serving.
  7. The cheese provided 20% of the RDA of calcium.
  8. You don't have to drive miles to a health food store to find this cheese. Wal-Mart sells it.

I explained to Kimberly that if you're not going to be a vegan, this is probably one of the most healthy animal products you can add to your diet.

No comments: