Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Yesterday I went to Round Hill Church, the church I grew up in, because I had made a contribution in memory of my mother, and they were honoring those contributions yesterday. I was really glad I went, because I saw a lot of people I knew, and I really enjoyed the service yesterday. The minister performed the sermon in a different way which I liked. He picked a very long Bible passage. Almost the entire sermon consisted of the congregation reading along with the passage. He would stop at various points to add some comments. He talked for a very short time after we were done with the passage. I felt this is a very good way to keep people's attention. I usually can't pay attention to the entire sermon when delivered in a traditional manner. This sermon involved the story of the apostle Stephen in Acts 6-8.

I was a bad girl, however. In this church, there is a silent prayer where you can lift up the names of anyone who needs your prayers. Usually, you are invited to say the name allowed if you wish the congregation to also pray for them, but yesterday, the minister only invited us to lift up the names silently, and I'm sure I know why. When he invited us to lift up the names silently of those who need our prayers, I immediately started to say to myself, "Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marian Hossa, Marc-Andre Fleury." I'm sure the minister knew there were a lot of people in the congregation doing that!

Later, Kimberly and I went to my lot in Rector. I decided not to run or walk yesterday but to carry logs around for exercise. Kimberly cut up a bunch of trees which had fallen with a chain saw, so I got quite a bit of exercise carrying heavy logs around and stacking them. We had a very nice fire and are going back today.

No comments: