Friday, August 22, 2008

Yesterday

I had a bowl of millet for breakfast yesterday, and I was able to do a fairly intense workout at the YMCA after that. I was impressed with the YMCA's new focus. They have come up with new programs to do something about the epidemics of obesity and diabetes, and they are also putting a lot of focus on children. They've hired new trainers and have new programs where each person will have a fitness coach they can see once a week. Also, they are promoting a 5K taking place in Charleroi on Sept. 6. I was going to do a half-marathon but don't feel prepared yet, so I signed up to do the 5K in Charleroi on that date.

At my TOPS meeting, they talked about eating out. I explained that I can't eat out at all without gaining weight, so I have to come up with various strategies, such as taking food with me, negotiating with anyone I go places with that they can stop for something to eat but I can't, or exercising if I am forced to eat out. I had to have french fries both days at the pow wow because there was no non-fattening food there, and we were way out in the boondocks. I had to exercise a lot to keep from gaining weight. One woman who is a KOPS says she can't eat out and has to take food with her. Another woman who has lost 50 pounds just point blank does not eat out.

Most of the people at TOPS are able to eat out and still lose weight. Strategies include sharing meals or going out one day a week and dieting the rest of the week. Some of the members have found meals they can have at various chain restaurants which are low in fat and calories.

I think the reason I gain weight when I eat out is more the lifestyle that goes along with eating out as opposed to the food itself. Usually, I eat out because I've spent the day sitting on my butt in the car going far away. Or, like at the pow wow, I don't have access to any healthy food. At the pow wow, I didn't want to carry a lot of stuff with me because I wanted to dance. So I only brought some Gatorade and water which I left in the cooler in the car. I should have brought some food rather than eat the french fries. Also, Native American dancing doesn't always burn up a lot of calories. In general, eating out occurs in situations that don't involve a lot of physical activity and reduce your control over your surroundings.

No comments: