Sunday, August 24, 2008

Latest News

Friday Kimberly built a picnic table and taught me how to build one. I learned how to select lumber and supplies at Home Depot. I learned how to load them on the truck to get them home. I learned how to measure the pieces of lumber and saw how to cut them with a circular saw. Then I saw the order to assemble it and how to drill the screws in. Finally, I saw how to put bolts in and then trim the corners of the table and the benches. The thing weighed a ton! It was beautiful but I couldn't budge it. Somehow, we stood it up, slid it into the truck, and then trucked it up to the top of the yard where we wanted to put it. It is an 8-foot table. We got it off the truck and to its permanent location. It's really great to have it to sit on and to be able to have barbecues out in the yard. We will soon build another one to take to my lot in Rector and I will be more actively involved in building that one. I also want to build a 6-foot one for the yard that would be more mobile. There is still some debate going on about the materials for that one, because I seriously do want to be able to move it around. Now that I know we can get a big heavy one onto the truck and unload it, I'm willing to build another one like that for the lot in Rector. Anyway, it was very impressive. Kimberly had it built in a couple of hours, and I couldn't believe anyone could pick materials, build something like that, and transport it to its location in such a short amount of time.

Yesterday, we went to Keystone State Park. I just love it there! I again took my jog around the lake. Then I went swimming a couple of times and laid out on the beach. We did not take Angel yesterday. However, we did figure out the rules for taking dogs. There are a bunch of small trees planted on the grassy area above the sand. If you keep your dog even behind those young trees, the dog can come. One person even brings a cat on a leash and has a beach umbrella for the cat! A big mean park ranger with a gun enforces the rules. One person got their dog too close to the beach and the kids were petting the dog, and the ranger intervened. But you can still bring your dog, and if you keep it behind the small trees, you can still get plenty of sun. If we take Angel, however, Kimberly would have to stay on the beach while I jog (which takes about 40 minutes), and only one of us could go in the water at a time. Also, as I get more physically fit, I am going to take longer jogs before I swim. There are six miles of trails in the park. I can also extend my jog by jogging through the cabins and hillside campground. Another option is to jog around the lake twice.

This morning I did my old 5 1/2 mile jog around home. It was hard with the hot weather. I have to jog up two really steep hills, along with several other hills. It is really pretty though. The views are pretty and part of my route goes high above the Monongahela River and I can look down on the city of Monongahela.

No comments: