Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sad News

I decided to write on my blog about this because I need to vent a little bit. My ex-boss got fired on Friday. Naturally, I have a lot of emotions around this. I am worried about her. Also, I am wondering if she may be better off in the end, being able to go elsewhere for a fresh start to be able to use her talents and energy anew. My boss was not young, and she is at the age where she could retire. I don't know if she can swing this financially. If she were able to do that, the community would be very lucky to gain a volunteer who would have so much to give. My boss was not from Pennsylvania, so if she moves elsewhere, it's a loss to the Pittsburgh area.

The college will definitely be a less colorful place without her. She is the most extroverted person I've ever met in my life. She also arranged a variety of events. Kimberly called her "the event" behind her back because she was always planning events! She was probably best known for throwing constant bake sales and barbecues around the college to raise funds. She was involved in many community organizations and brought attention to the college by her involvement. In addition, she took many students to conferences where they gained leadership skills and networked. There is a good percentage of students who only enrolled at the college because of her. They felt safe around her. Some students really owe their careers and even raises they got at work due to getting their degrees to her. Other students have transferred to four-year schools and owe that to her. Other students would never have acquired the skills they have to go to college if she had not gotten them tutors to prepare them for college level work.

I feel that I acquired a lot of skills and experience from working for her, and it was a very rewarding experience. Probably the larger percentage of students she served were African American. This job gave me the opportunity to learn a lot about African Americans living in urban areas. I was able to meet many wonderful people while working for her.

I really don't understand why the college would let someone like this go. I hope it turns out positive for her in the end and that she is able to use her abilities where she will be appreciated.

No comments: