Thursday, June 5, 2008

Penguins, etc.

Well, it's over and Detroit won the Stanley Cup. The Penguins did all they could do. Ray Shero got Hossa for them and they got to the finals. They duked it out in game 5 in Detroit by scoring a goal with 30 seconds left and winning it in triple overtime. They fought to the end in game 6, lost only by one goal and came very close to tying that game. Really this is all we can ask of such a young team. We have the oldest arena in the league, the team went bankrupt and was awful for years, and almost left town. Now we're getting a new arena and they took us to game 6 of the finals with an awesome, experienced, talented, tough team like Detroit. The future is bright and they really did more than we could possibly expect and hope for.

I'm getting ready for our church's annual service in Schenley Park, which is this Sunday. The service takes place out in the park and then there is a big picnic at a pavilion. Although, of course, some people dutifully staff a grill and provide hot dogs and hamburgers, almost all the food people bring is vegetarian, and lots of the food is very healthy. There are always plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, and salads. People bring an abundance of other food with beans, lentils, and whole grains. The picnic often confirms to me why I feel at home in this church. There is another Presbyterian church that is probably closest to our church. But when I've gone to things at that church, I don't feel as at home, because people seem to be eating nothing but hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, and many of the people smoke and drink beer. There are always little side groups socializing over a cigarette, and the rest of us who don't want to breathe it in feel left out of those groups. I know those people need god like the rest of us. But you know, us health food vegetarians are a minority group in this society, a big minority group. We are the outsiders in this society, and we need god too. That's why I'm glad I found a church where I don't feel like an outsider, as I do in most places. It's tough to be ostracized and an outsider when you're the one who's right! Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans are better for you. Smoking is bad for you. Saturated fat and cholesterol and fattening desserts are bad for you. But those of us who do what's healthy for us have to apologize for it and be considered weirdoes and outsiders. So I'm glad I've found a church where I don't feel like an outsider for living a healthy lifestyle. If God wanted us to eat hot dogs, hamburgers, and fattening desserts, then why didn't He or She make it good for our bodies? Why, instead, did God make vegetables, fruits, beans, and whole grains good for us? Why didn't God make tobacco good for us? Why did God make exercise good for us? Why are those who do for our bodies what God made good for them always the outcasts? This is why I like this picnic, because I feel at home. I feel I can eat something at this picnic and it is what God made good for my body and what God wants me to eat.

No comments: