Thursday, June 12, 2008

High Prices

All the prices have gone up so fast, everyone has to make radical adjustments fast! I saw that yesterday. I decided to stop by the thrift shop. There were five times as many cars as I have ever seen there. The lot was full of nice-looking, gas-guzzling cars and SUVs. A completely different crowd was frequenting the thrift shop. There were many well-dressed, affluent-looking customers who looked like they wanted to look well-dressed! The lines were so long, I left. Instead of grabbing one or two items, I'll have to make a list and go when I have time to stand in line.

I started to make serious adjustments yesterday to my diet in order to deal with the high food prices. The big decision I made was to go back to relying on staple foods from cultures I have had contact with where people don't have much money. So I'm going back to eating a lot of Algerian couscous and Nicaraguan gallo pinto. I will also eat a lot of soup. I cooked up a big supply of beans yesterday. I cooked up a supply of garbanzos, cannellini beans, and small red beans. I also cooked up a supply of whole wheat couscous. I used my frozen tomatoes from last year and made Algerian couscous for dinner, which turned out pretty good.

No comments: