Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fuel Prices

It was very hot here for several days. I went to Ligonier in the Laurel Mountains both Saturday and Monday to cool down. It was definitely easier to deal with the heat with all the trees in the mountains--i.e., lots of shade. I did do quite a bit of work, however, hauling logs around. I couldn't have done that in the heat at home.

I am facing for the first time in my life something that never entered my head. Because I live in the country where the nearest public transportation is a 3-mile walk away, and because of fuel prices, I may have to get a motorcycle. I'm scared to death. My dad had a motorcycle when I was a kid, and as a kid, I enjoyed him taking me for rides. However, I never thought I'd have to ride one. But I'm not going to get stuck out here in the country and not be able to get anywhere except on occasion. I also want to keep some options open about where I can look for jobs. In addition, I plan to get a masters degree, hopefully at Pitt, and I don't think I can do it online.

I've been searching for trikes and still haven't learned that much about them. However, if their mileage isn't that much better, I may just have to get a regular motorcycle, face my fears, and deal with it.

Right now I have two vehicles which run on E85 ethanol. It's cheaper but the mileage isn't as good. Also, these two vehicles don't get good mileage. There is talk ethanol could be made cheaply with garbage instead of corn, and there are plans for some plants in Pennsylvania. I also heard you can get a license for your own still. Believe me, all options are open!

No comments: