Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 25

Yesterday was so nice I went up to Ligonier. I first went to the town of Ligonier. I went to the gift shop at Fort Ligonier. They have a lot of Native American stuff. They even have a whole section of one wall devoted to books on Native Americans. You can even buy books on Native American crafts and skills for doing things. I got a post card of a Delaware chief for Kimberly. I also got a post card of how Pittsburgh looked in 1763. There was nothing but Fort Pitt on the Point. The post card was a painting of some Indians climbing Mt. Washington and looking down at the Point. I also got Kimberly a beaded Indian necklace. Then I walked around Ligonier. There is an Indian store with all kinds of Indian crafts and artifacts, but it was closed. There are dozens of dream catchers hanging from the ceiling.

I then drove up to the summit. I had the best hike. I started on the first part of Beam Run Road. I really like that section of Beam Run Road. I then turned onto the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail at a big rock formation. I hiked a very rugged section of the LHHT with huge rhodedendrons and big rock formations. This small section of the trail, around mile 42, had everything. It had the huge rock formations, the thick vegetation, flowers from the mountain laurel bushes, fields of ferns, a view down into the valley, evergreen groves that were dark and shady, and then just the usual summit terrain toward the top, where there are rocks and some vegetation and the trees aren't as tall.

After that I went down to my lot. It was a beautiful evening down there and I did some work. I saw two deer by the road in Rector, PA on my way home.

No comments: