Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Job Interview 1

The economic crisis has gotten me back into my soto zen practice. This practice won't interfere in any way with my continuing to attend Sixth Presbyterian Church. But it has helped me to deal with some of the anxieties of these hard economic times and the daily uncertainties.

I had an experience yesterday which it will take me several posts to discuss. I have been trying to rely on my revived zen practice to assist me.

Several years ago, I applied at a medical temp agency. This temp agency was probably more interested in finding nurses and other support staff for direct patient care. I applied there because I had just received a certificate in medical transcription, so I was looking for office/typing/secretarial type work. I had to drive way out close to the airport to apply there. Over the years, the agency calls me about every six months with a job which is too far away for me to be interested.

Yesterday, out of the blue, the agency called me and literally begged me to come in. They dangled a part-time job before me which probably is not really available. It is about a 5-mile commute for me. Well, they had moved into town. They wanted me to come in so badly that they were willing to interview me without a current resume and before I had hunted up all the necessary paperwork to being working again. Also, I really don't have a wardrobe together yet to be working in offices, because I wasn't exactly sure yet what type of part-time work I'd be looking for.

My impression upon leaving the agency yesterday is that everything has suddenly changed and everyone is scrambling to keep up with it. Almost suddenly, the job market out in Moon and Robinson and near the airport has dried up. Almost suddenly, not enough people own or are willing to use cars or pay for gas in order to work or apply for jobs. Almost overnight, if this agency doesn't want to go bankrupt, they have to recruit workers who use public transportation. Almost overnight, one job market went bust and another emerged.

I, like the agency, am on possibly even a moment-to-moment roller coaster with this economy. Do I flit around like this or do I seek something inside? I got very weary trying constantly to keep up with this roller coaster on a moment-by-moment basis and it led me back to the soto zen practice I was doing back in the late 90's.

Next post, I will talk about how visiting this agency affected me and make some reflections on it.

No comments: