Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Economic Crisis

These next couple weeks, I have a couple mid-terms. One is in Applied Anatomy and Kinesiology. The other one is in First Aid and Sports Injuries. I'll be busy with that. I lost 4 pounds at the last TOPS meeting and was the biggest loser. I have been doing lots of jogging trying to find some kind of weight goal. I'm in the same place with a weight goal as I am with the economy. Both are wait and see situations. I'm lucky I have the distraction of the weight goal and the mid-terms to try to ride out what is happening with the economy. If things continue to deteriorate, I will probably have to forget about getting any advanced degrees for now and look for a job.

Because of the bad economy and the reality that things may never be the same again, which I've actually been dealing with anyway for quite awhile, I'm working on some permanent changes. I successfully baked my own bread using a recipe I used in my early 20's when I was dirt poor. Now I must warn you that my bread is not for everyone. People who like my bread are generally those who like fiber! In any case, I liked the bread. When I was in my early 20's, this bread really helped me stay slim. I also baked some corn bread and have started making pancakes from scratch. Again, my pancakes are bare bones and do not contain milk, oil, or eggs. Instead of putting butter or syrup on them, I spray them with spray butter. Today, I'm going to make a supply of them and freeze them. I have ground up some extra grains to put in with the buckwheat. I'm going to make my own waffles soon and freeze them. I was able to get a huge bag of stone ground whole wheat flour on sale for $2. So if I keep this up, this will save lots of money. I have also started making my own vegetable, minestrone, and bean soups from scratch. They contain almost no fat at all. I frequently make vegetarian Algerian cous cous from scratch and it contains very little fat. We'll see if all this can also help me keep my weight down along with the expenses. I'll find out at my TOPS meetings.

No comments: