Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama Wins!!!!!!

I was sick with a migraine most of the day but did get myself down to vote. We celebrated Obama's win with a bonfire. I had found a great big log for it at a local park. I also played my drum and rattled some rattles--one I had bought and one that Kimberly made from a gourd. I am very happy about the victory because I feel that FINALLY people like me have triumphed after 40 years! Of course, we owe this to a whole lot of people who weren't even born 40 years ago when we started to challenge the "establishment." I didn't really feel that Bill Clinton was that different or able at that time to really take us in a new direction. For one thing, Bill Clinton WAS our first Native American president, but he wasn't able to admit that publicly. But Barak Obama couldn't hide who he was and he won anyway! I really think things are going to change now. Also, the world is going to respect us so much more now that we've proven we aren't a bunch of racists who would vote down a black person, a person who's father was from Kenya, a person with an African name. I think our image will be so much better in the world now. This is important to me, because I am fluent in French, and I speak Spanish, Russian, and some Italian and Portuguese, and because I love to travel to Canada and particularly Quebec so much. I really have renewed hope for myself. It was almost worth suffering through eight years of Bush to have a president like Obama. This has moved our country ahead light years. I'm going to have the best birthday I've ever had. I will be 56 on January 20. It is going to be a great honor to have my birthday the same day Barack Obama is inaugurated. I really have a lot more courage and energy to go to grad school now, whatever I choose to study. I want to have a job where I can help people and it helps to know there is a president who is like that and who gives our country hope. Up till now, it seems like everything is about picking up the pieces of a country in decline, but I really think there is hope for our country now, and this inspires me in my own life and with my own ambitions.

No comments: