Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Back from Mt. Mitchell Continued

I still have a lot to write about to catch up since I've been back from Mt. Mitchell, NC, and the climb to the summit of Mt. Craig, just next to it.

When we got back, I had received my materials from the West Virginia State Hiking Program. I found a pamphlet and application for it at the camp store after my first 4.5 mile hike at Tomlinson Run State Park. I sent in to join it and received a wonderful letter, a portfolio full of maps for any trail in West Virginia that can be used in the program, and a log. I put the 4.5 mile hike on my log. I have also been at Tomlinson Run the past two days, and I logged an additional .5 miles yesterday with Kimberly and Angel. I have it on my log and now have 5 miles. You get the first award after 25 miles. My next few miles will probably also be at Tomlinson Run, since I like their trails and still have a few of them I want to hike soon. We also may go camping there, so I could walk some of the trails from the campground. This is the closest state park or trail to me in West Virginia that I know of. There may be something closer, but this park is only about 60 miles away. I'll have to find out if I can get to something closer using Route 70, but the ones on 79 are farther away than Tomlinson Run.

The day after I returned from Mt. Mitchell, I went to the Dean's List Reception for CCAC students at the convention center. More on that in my next post.

No comments: