Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Back Below 3000 Feet

Yesterday I spent the day at Mt. Davis. It is the highest point in Pennsylvania and is at 3213 feet. It was a beautiful drive up there. It's really in the boondocks! I was able to climb about 3/4 the way up the observation tower, but I didn't make it to the top. The view was still good from where I was able to climb. I hiked to the picnic area, which is really nice. I hiked a bit of a couple other trails. The mountain laurel was in full bloom, so it was just gorgeous. It was a fairly nice day, cloudy at first, but then sunny. I didn't see any black bears, which apparently happens up there. I then hiked down a dirt road and found the observation deck. It was the greatest! There are benches and a picnic table, and you can look down into the valley at the lake, the farms, and the other mountains in the distance. I walked back and got the car and drove in there. I ate my snack there and hung out awhile. I also got to see the Casselman River yesterday, which is beautiful. It is very rocky and not quite as wide as the Youghiogheny. On the way up to Mt. Davis on the Turnpike, I passed the Bald Knob tower at 2930 feet which is the highest I usually hike. I was a bit queazy hiking up at 3200 feet. Today I feel a little queazy and my inner ears are screwed up from spending the day up at 3200 feet. I figure probably the highest I've been is 7400 when I walked around Mexico City. I am planning very soon to go to Mt. Mitchell, North Carolina, which is the highest point east of the Mississippi. It is close to 7000 feet.

Last Thursday, I visited Laurel Hill State Park. I hiked a really neat trail called the Pump House Trail. It went up to a beautiful dam on the Jones Mill Run creek. I also visited the lake and camp ground there. After that, I visited Seven Springs, which is a little higher than Bald Knob. I am very accustomed to hiking the Laurel Summit near Route 30. Those hikes range from 2700 feet to over 2900 at Bald Knob. So 3200 feet for most of the day was an adjustment for me.

Monday I took my third psychology test. I got 100% on both quizzes and the test. I'm signed up for a couple phys ed classes stating in mid-September. One of them, Applied Anatomy and Kinesiology, is really the last course I need to take to apply to go for my masters degree at Pitt. However, I want to do some math tutoring, because there is some math involved in being an exercise physiologist--equations, calculations, etc.

Right now, since it's summer, I'm focusing on losing more weight and getting in a lot of physical activity. Then I will start focusing on getting some certifications in personal training and lifestyle and weight management. I also will explore getting a Dr. Ornish license. You can get a free one, but I'm not sure I'll be eligible before I'm actually an exercise physiologist, so I'll have to find that out. But going off on all the hikes this summer has a lot to do with just getting in a lot of physical activity during the warm weather.

No comments: